Local AngloINFO


The world is my home

Expand Current Page

Buying a Used Car in Greece

How to buy a used car in Greece, with details on the documents that may be required...

There are a number of websites, magazines and newspapers (mostly in Greek) that advertise used cars for sale in Greece. A secondhand car is called μεταχειρισμενα αυτοκινητα in Greek.

Before buying a car, a buyer can take a used car to a mechanic to be checked (for a small fee).

Documents required

When buying a secondhand car, the following documents are required for the transfer of ownership and registration:

  • Certified copy of proof of identity of both the buyer and seller
  • KTEO document (MOT) from the seller
  • Proof of circulation tax payment
  • Documentation of receipt of payment by the seller (an invoice marked paid)
  • Request for transfer and registration of the car ownership (document Aitisi)
  • Vehicle registration document, certified by the local tax office proving that the annual vehicle tax has been paid
  • Power of attorney, if registration is carried out by a third party
  • Foreign citizens need to provide their Residence Permit (Aδεια παραμονης)
  • Registration fee

The documents are submitted to the local Citizen Service Centre (Κεντρο Εξυπηρετησης Πολιτων - KEP). The buyer will be notified once the documents are ready for collection.

  • To find a local Citizen Service Centre anywhere in Greece: Click here

Documents can also be submitted to The Ministry.


Car insurance should be taken out before registration of the vehicle.

Do you have a suggestion to improve this page? click here...

Looking for an international business opportunity? Why not run an AngloINFO site?
AngloINFO is growing fast and is looking for the right people to take on regional AngloINFO franchises around the world - click here to find out more!

AngloINFO Franchising: Be your own boss - where you want to be!